Due to the nature of dancing, the body can go through a difficult time with each training session and competition that comes. Often performed on hard flooring, dancing can be intense and the movements repetitive. Unfortunately, many dancers are subjected to injuries and this shortens their careers significantly.
If you’re an experienced dancer, you’ll probably recognize some of the following common ‘overuse’ injuries;
- Stress fractures
- Neck strain
- Lower back pain
- Ankle/foot injuries
- Muscle tightness
For those who start at an early age, many joints and muscles are severely overused by the time a career in the profession becomes possible.
Are we supposed to just deal with the injuries that come? After just starting recently, are the injuries and periods of discomfort just part and parcel of dancing? At Carpe Diem Chiropractic, we don’t think so. Instead, we believe in prolonging a dance career with chiropractic care.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Dancers
- Helps All Body Parts – Over the years, chiropractors have garnered a reputation for helping those with back problems. However, at Carpe Diem, we can also assist with extremity adjusting which allows for improvements in the knees, feet, ankles, wrists, elbows, hips, and shoulders (all areas that are worked hard while dancing!).
- Improved Flexibility – Ever gone to a training session while feeling stiff? Most dancers have, and it suggests a horrible session ahead. With a chiropractor, you’ll feel a difference in not only flexibility but range of motion and overall performance too.
- Prevent Injuries – For most dancers, injuries are the bane of their existence. With each injury that comes, potential careers are shortened somewhat. As you work with a professional and reliable chiropractor, the focus will switch to overall health and keeping the body in a position to prevent injuries. If you’ve already experienced an injury through dancing, the aim of the recovery program will be to prevent future injuries as well as overcoming the current one.
- Improved Performance – Imagine your body going along with all the dance moves rather than resisting, wouldn’t this be amazing? In the past, we’ve worked with numerous dancers who felt better equipped to deal with intense dance routines after chiropractic sessions.
- Nutritional Advice – Often, this is a service that goes under the radar but it’s something with which chiropractors can help. Is your diet contributing to a great dance performance or is it hindering? This is something we can review (and provide advice wherever necessary!). With an improved diet, you’ll have more energy and your sleeping pattern may also improve.
If you’ve been researching ways to prolong your dancing career, we’ve hopefully provided you with some food for thought here today. If you have any questions regarding chiropractic care or introducing it as a dancer, feel free to get in touch with Carpe Diem Chiropractic and even have discussions with your dance teacher.
We hate to see wasted talent sitting on the treatment table, so why not look after your body in the right way? Although adjustments/manipulations get most of the attention for chiropractors, and this is certainly a brilliant way to keep the spine aligned, there are many other services on offer with a chiropractor. For example, a treatment plan may include;
- Soft tissue massage
- Heat and ice therapy
- Ultrasound (deep heat therapy)
- Electrical muscle stimulation
- Cold laser therapy
- Pelvic stabilization
With a chiropractor, your body will be in the right hands to remain healthy both in the short- and long-term for dancing!