Upon arriving at the Carpe Diem Chiropractic office in either Fort Lauderdale or Plantation, Florida for your first chiropractic appointment with Dr. Meraz you will be asked to complete some paperwork. The paperwork provides us with general information regarding you and also your reason for the appointment. If you prefer to review or complete the paperwork prior to your appointment, click on each of the links below to download:
- Adult Member Health Record (a PDF)
- Informed Consent for Chiropractic Care (a PDF)
- For Directions to the Fort Lauderdale center, call (954) 350-0077
- For Directions to the Plantation center, call (954) 371-2170
When you attend your first chiropractic appointment at Carpe Diem Chiropractic center, a physical examination will be the starting point, and below we’ve laid out what happens so you know what to expect.
First things first, the exam will start with a test of your reflexes, blood pressure, and vital signs. From here, we might take arm and leg measurements before then going through a number of simple activities and exercises. By completing these, we can get a better idea of your balance, gait, motor skills, and more. Furthermore, we’ll also learn your range of motion, nervous system, strength, and muscle tone. If we find any abnormalities during this first testing phase, it could suggest a specific problem.
We take great pride in cleanliness, education, and choosing the right treatment for every single patient. Over the years, we have realized that the one-size-fits-all approach is not the best way to go which is why we offer holistic treatments with our wellness chiropractors in Fort Lauderdale and Plantation, Florida, in addition to the more traditional and cutting edge chiropractic technologies.
- One Leg Test - By standing and slowly raising one leg, this could inform us of sciatica which occurs in the lower back. By applying pressure to the raised leg, we can also locate joint imbalance, pain, and inflammation. Known as the ‘Psoas Muscle Test’, it normally highlights issues in the spinal vertebrae.
- Bending Forwards, Backwards, and Sideways - During this simple exercise, we can detect misaligned spinal vertebrae.
- Grip Test - After gripping a rubber ball, we can assess the condition of your nerves as well as the muscles in the forearm.
- Leg Flex and Extension - Known as the ‘Yeoman’s Test’, this one will detect sprains and assess the integrity of all joints in the legs.
- Raised Leg - While lying down, the ‘Thomas Test’ will have you raise one leg before we apply light pressure; this will test the mobility of your hip joint.
- Others - After this, we may then ask you to run through some other simple tests such as sitting with your normal posture, walking in a straight line, and walking in place. These will show us your spine, gait, and pelvis/spine coordinate respectively.
Once these simple exercises have been completed, Dr. Meraz will use his hands to manipulate the back and assess the condition of the spine and various other structures; we can also inform you of any stimuli that have the potential to cause pain. Finally, if necessary, we could then suggest x-rays, CT scans, blood work, MRIs, and other tests.
At the end of the chiropractic appointment, we’ll sit down and discuss what we found and what it means moving forward. If required, there will also be a discussion regarding lifestyle habits such as diet, exercise, and smoking. By optimizing these three, the healing process will speed up and you can reduce the likelihood of injury occurring again in the future!
The staff was very friendly and professional. Most importantly, all of the different therapy and adjustment procedures are second to none! Enjoyed every second I was here. Will schedule many more!Juan H.
We Find the Root of The Problem and Create a Customized Care Plan
We Spend Time with Our Patients - All Appointments Are 1 Hour
We Are Passionate About Helping People & Natural Healing
Dr. Barak Meraz Is a Board-Certified Chiropractor
Board-Certified ChiropractorView Profile